Credits: Florida Citizens Alliance
Good Morning: Please share this and encourage all in your network to subscribe to http://floridacitizensalliance.com/liberty/join-our-mailing-list/.
There is no membership fee and we will be doing action alerts as these bills move thru the process. The louder our collective voice the better our chances for success.
Press Release— Feb 27th, 2017
Bill Status: 3/7/17 was filed and will be headed to committee.
For Immediate Release: 2017 Instructional Materials companion bills filed in the Florida House and Senate.
WHAT: SB 1210 and HB 989 companion bills were filed last week by Sen. Tom Lee and Rep. Byron Donalds. These are “fixit” companion bills to a very “well-intentioned” Senate Bill passed into law in 2014, but not implemented by a single school district. The original intent was to establish each school board to be constitutionally responsible for the instruction materials used in their respective districts and to establish an open, transparent process for reviewing, raising objections to and approving instructional materials used with K-12 students.
When passed this fixit bill will:
- Require that each school district shall implement a transparent Policy/Process within their District whether they acquire from the State list or create their individual acquisition program.
- Provide a definition of quality materials and requirement for providers to
meet Florida existing laws.
- Tighten the definition of instructional materials to include “on-line” materials.
- Give each District School Board greater flexibility to use instructional materials that meets or exceed current Florida Standards.
- Expand a parent’s right to object to include the rights of all taxpayers.
Please call the following members and ask that they support this bill.
FOR THE CHILDREN
(386) 304-7630 or (850) 487-5014
(321) 409-2025 or (850) 487-5017
(954) 467-4227 or (850) 487-5034
(941) 741-3401 or (850) 487-5021
(407) 262-7578 or (850) 487-5009
(352) 540-6074 or (850) 487-5010
(407) 893-2422 or (850) 487-5013
(954) 321-2705 or (850) 487-5033
"The goal of education is not to increase the amount of knowledge but to create the possibilities for a child to invent and discover, to create men who are capable of doing new things."